Friday, April 29, 2011

I Crown Thee, Fashionista of Cambridge

I will admit, though I am married to a Brit, I didn't have many feelings about the Royal Wedding one way or another.  That is, not up until a few days ago.  I don't know what or when it happened, but all of a sudden like many other people, I was struck with Royal Wedding fever.  (This mostly had to do with the fact that Kate was keeping a secret from all of us who designed her dress and just what that dress would look like.)  I could not wait to see what she looked like.  She has such a great sense of fashion, I can really see her becoming quite an icon.

There had been talk about the possibility of a more edgy, avant-garde dress to compete with the awesome detailing of the abbey itself.  Also, there was talk of sleek, modern sophistication.  Designers such as Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, Bruce Oldfield, and Alice Temperly.  At one point Marchesa was mentioned, which I was actually secretly rooting for.  Their designs are so whimsical and romantic I had thoughts of the ethereal confection they might design for her.

By the time she stepped out of the car at Westminster Abbey, I could hardly contain my excitement.


Because I was anticipating... well... I'm not sure what I was anticipating to be perfectly honest.  But, because there was such a build up, I don't mind saying my instant reaction was something along the lines of, "That's IT?"  Immediately following that rather silly reaction, however, I am proud to say that my inner fashionista (and common sense) prevailed.  This was a gorgeous dress!  


The more I looked at it, the more I fell in love.  It was actually breath-taking.  And Kate looked like absolutely everything a princess should be.


Stunning.


This dress, unlike the very 1980s meringue of a gown that Princess Diana wore, will stand the test of time.  It is quite simply classic.  It has also been said to be very reminiscent of the dress that Grace Kelly wore to her wedding in 1956.


In the silk gazar with English and French lace and handmade lace appliques on the bodice and skirt, this dress is both modern and vintage in feeling and carries with it a sexy sophistication that I believe Kate is becoming known for.  This dress will still be in fashion 30 years from now.






And with that kiss, I can already see the rush of hundreds of brides around the world, back to the dress shop to exchange their strapless gowns for gowns with sleeves and lots of lace.



Princess Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, hurry back from your honeymoon, because there is an entire world of women waiting to see what you wear next, from now on.  Today was born not only a new Royal, but also a new fashion icon.  No pressure there, Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment