Friday, April 15, 2011

Wedding Crafts for a Peacock-Themed Wedding

Hello people!  Since we last spoke, I have been married.  So, to get back to business here, I thought it might be nice to show you some of my wedding crafts.  Our wedding was very, very small and on a very limited budget, so it was a very DIY wedding.  Not, mind you, that I am a very DIY bride, but if I'm being honest, I don't think I did half a bad job!

First, was the guest book.  Now, there are inexpensive guest books.  But, if you want a custom guest book, with your wedding colors and any sort of decoration at all, it's going to cost you!  These things can go for up to (and probably beyond) $50!  Mine was decidedly less than that and all I needed was some ribbon, a peacock feather, and a hot glue gun.


Next, were the boutonnieres.  The color inspiration for the wedding was based on peacock feathers, so of course we used them in the "decor."  You can find these for fairly inexpensive, but if you have the time, I would recommend making them yourself.  Now, I'm not a naturally crafty person, so I will admit I was a bit intimidated by this, but it wasn't as difficult as I expected and I think they turned out quite well.





Because most of their clothing was purple, I opted to wrap the bottoms of the feathers in blue ribbon.  And, to keep things as natural and simple as possible, the only bit of decoration we used in addition to the feather were some gold berries to match the main color in the feather.  My hubby wanted four berries to make clear that he was the groom, and everyone else got three.



Next was the cake topper.  These can be ridiculously expensive, so I definitely wanted to make ours ourselves.  Especially since we had a family member make the cakes.  Now, to serve as an example of why I married him, my husband helped me create this topper.  He found the base and the florists' foam to fit the shape perfectly.  It was also his idea to cover the foam in blue tulle so you couldn't see it.  The bunch of flowers we bought from Hobby Lobby fit perfectly.  I just cut the stem and leafs off the bunch of flowers and stuck them in the foam.  Then I used a bunch of blue-green feathers to act as more stylish "leafs."  More of the gold berries helped to decorate the piece and two peacock feathers and a blue ribbon woven through the base finished this piece off.  Now, I thought when it was finished that it might be too big as a topper, but for a three-tiered cake, it fit just right.


The last piece I'll show you here were the centerpieces for the tables.  Hubby and I are huge Beatles fans, so it only made sense to incorporate them somewhere.  For this, I simply printed out sheet music of several Beatles songs that had to do with love, pasted them to a thick piece of cardstock in our wedding colors, and pasted a peacock feather along the side of the sheet.  We used picture frame easels to rest the sheet music on




We also made my veil, my grandmother made my niece's dress, and I made her headband to match.  I also made a feather headpiece, which I wore at the reception.  I'll try and post a few pictures from the wedding a little later so you can get an idea of how some of these pieces looked.  Also, I'm considering making some of these things to sell.  I don't have an Etsy shop at the moment, but I would consider opening one if there is enough interest.  Let me know if anyone would be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment