Friday, July 15, 2011

Loopy For Lucite

I am currently crazy for lucite.  I recently purchased these stacked globe lamps, which are actually made out of glass, but achieve the same look. 


Essentially lucite is just a solid, transparent plastic, made from polymethyl methacrylate.  So, it's actually much safer to use in decor than glass is, but it can also be quite expensive.  It carries with it a decidedly retro feel, but can also look quite modern.  I just love the "now you see it, now you don't" aspect.  Because you can see right through it, it can help make a room feel more free of clutter, even airy.  There is something that is just fresh and clean about lucite pieces.





Still, while many people like the look of lucite, they find it hard to imagine what an individual piece might look like mixed in with more traditional decor.  So, let's take a look at some ways people use these pieces in their homes.

 It's not difficult to imagine that lucite probably isn't the most comfortable material to sit on, so just add some cushions.  I absolutely love these chairs.

 This photo is a little bright, but I love the 1960s vibe this coffee table gives to this rock 'n' roll room.  It just wouldn't look as "hip" with a plain wood table.

 How sweet is this look?  These pieces can even up the romance in a room!

 Even as the base to a bench, lucite just adds that needed touch of glamour!

 Retro, yet modern, classy and sophisticated.

Okay, probably not the most practical of chairs in an office, but what a look!  These chairs add a sleek, modern, stream-lined aspect to this room.

At first I hardly even noticed the lucite piece in this photo of a very traditional family room.  It's like the items on the coffee table are floating in mid air!  These pieces work in any type of decor, even if it's just to add that bit of something unexpected.

This, for me, is definitely the pièce de résistance for me.  Upon first viewing I thought, "Surely that's a mirrored finish (also quickly becoming an obsession)?"  But then I realized I could see the sofa right through this trunk!  Yeah, this is most assuredly a piece I would like to have.  Oh, and would ya look at that?  Only $2,950!  A steal!  Honestly though, I just found some much cheaper versions online.  If you're interested, just google: "lucite trunk".  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment